Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Do you have any coupons?


One of my favorite things to quote, besides stupid commercial jingles and Forrest Gump, is the self check-out computerized lady voice at Kroger and Wal-Mart.

"Welcome Kroger Plus Member!"
"Please scan your first item and place it in the bag."
I repeat, "Place your item in the bag."
"Please wait for assistance."
"Do you have any coupons?"
"Insert cash or select payment type."

Woody hates it when I talk back to her, mimicking her computerized voice. The lady voice and I have practically become BFF. She knows I have coupons so why does she always ask? She should know by now that I am a coupon freak! Self check-out lady and I have a love / hate relationship and sometimes I don't feel like putting up with her attitude.

Yesterday, I called in at work with back pain. I've diagnosed the pain as a pinched nerve that is affecting my whole left arm, my neck, my shoulders, my spine, and my head. After boredom with day-time television set in, I decided to make the trip to Wal-Mart for some Icy Hot and a few other household items. With coupons in hand and a wobbly buggy, I carefully picked out the items that matched the coupon. Nearly 25 items later, I proceeded to checkout. Being somewhat in pain, I decided to go to a real cashier instead of computerized self check-out lady. The cashier bagged all of my items as I handed her $17 worth of coupons. That's right, you heard me, $17 worth. The cashier then got all flustered and voided my entire order to start all over again in an attempt to make sure I had the correct items and that my coupons were not expired. As if! I would like to apologize to the self check-out computerized lady voice for my betrayal and to thank her for trusting my judgement in products and respective coupons. I'm sorry ; (

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laurel, you are hilarious!! I love that you are a coupon freak.. I wish that I could remember to use them more often! Sorry about your back pain... I have been having back pain too! Feel better!