Monday, April 6, 2009

Don't Be A Paleface


It's official. The first sunburn of 2009 has arrived. It's barely April here in the Bluegrass and I have experienced my first sunburn of the season. Why do I say this as if I am expecting more to come? Expecting is one thing, however, knowing, despite my efforts to apply 100 + SPF sunblock, that I will receive yet another tortuous sunburn is another.
Two days ago, Woody and I took full advantage of a beautiful sunny Saturday afternoon and finally landscaped our pitiful, sorry excuse, for a front yard. Not a cloud in the sky, nor a drop of sunblock lathered on my freckled, winter-white skin, we diligently plotted, fabric-lined, edged, and planted. In shorts and a tank top I cheerfully glavanted across our front yard in nearly 70 degree weather for several hours, ignoring the fact that in several hours, I would be on "fire" from my stupidity.
It is inevitable. Until a true 100% SPF is released, I will continue to sunburn. I will also notice every new freckle that graces my skin with its presence. I have accepted it. I will never have a beautiful bronze suntan (unless it is sprayed on of course) and I will continue to be surrounded by those who do tan and tan well. I'm jealous, what can I say? Two days ago we were soaking in the beautiful Kentucky springtime weather. Today, I am bathed in a pleasant reminder of a weekend full of Vitaman E, as a cold 30 degree rainy day sends chills over my bright red splotchy-ness.
"Before" and "After" pictures coming soon...
(of the yard, not the sunburn, get your mind out of the gutter!)

2 comments:

Ashley said...

So sorry you got burned! It was great weather though!

Anonymous said...

Yah an update on the blog! Whoo Hoo Hoo!!!!! I hope that your sunburn is getting better now that a few days have passed!