Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Tribute to Blake

Two years ago, I received one of the most devastating phone calls of my life. One of my best friends, Blake, did not survive a car accident. Blake had just celebrated his 25th birthday and had recently been granted custody of his son, Lucas. I had called Blake several times throughout the last couple of weeks and was awaiting his phone call. I was so happy for him and Lucas and his entire family. I never got the phone call, but over the last two years, I still have dreams about the memories we shared, dreams about him not really being gone, dreams about the terrible news, and some dreams where he just randomly shows up. Here are a couple of things that bring back sweet memories of Blake:

AC/DC

Lynard Skynard

Rolling Stones (he loved the song, "Girl I Miss You")

Pink Floyd

David Alan Coe

Rebel Flags

Gibson guitars

Alabama "Crimson Tide"

Football

Chevy Trucks

"Roy-al with Cheese"

Mane N' Tail Shampoo

Crown and Coke

The only 6th grader with a beard

Snowsking in coveralls

My friend Lori tanning his name on her stomach in Middle School

Making "concoctions" with his school lunch leftovers

Referring to himself as "Bwake" (his little brother's name for him when they were kids)

Blake lived life on the edge and sometimes I feel he was a little misunderstood. Mom tells me, "Maybe he just had a lot of living to do in his 25 years." Blake holds such a special place in my heart. He was also a great listener. I always told him he should be some kind of therapist or social worker for his abiltiy to put my thoughts and feelings into words when even I couldn't.

One Christmas, Blake gave me an Atlanta Braves hat. He saw me eying it in Hat World at the Fayette Mall. Turns out, my husband had a thing for the Braves and would spot the "girl in the Chi-O jacket and Braves hat" on campus that he could only dream of dating. Little did he know, I would be his wife someday. I give Blake credit for the "tall baseball player guy" finally noticing me.

Friends come in to and out of your life for a reason. Without Blake's friendship, I wouldn't be the person I am today. He made me appreciate, well, the "southern" things in life. And, my husband may never had noticed me without my treasured Braves hat. He wanted the best for me and for all of his friends and family. Blake will always be a best friend and he will always be my watchful guardian. I miss you Blake!

4 comments:

Ashley K said...

That is really sweet Laurel. Very well said and very fitting! It is funny, but several of those things you mentioned remind me of Blake as well...I would just have to add one thing: Metallica. Every morning Laura and I would ride in Ben's car with Blake and we would listen to Metallica. It was quite the experience. I am sorry I was not able to go to his funeral, but I heard it was very beautiful.

Ashley K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Laurel, what great memories of Blake. I was just thinking on Saturday about the name tanning as I was burning my baby bump. Don't forget the joyride in your car. That joyride actually lead me to my husband, I was grounded until I went to prom with Matt and now I have a wonderful Husband as well.

Anonymous said...

I finally got around to reading this blog. I really enjoyed it. Thanks.