Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Max-A-Million


Meet Max. He is a 5 month old, or so, mutt with calico hair and deep brown eyes. He loves walks in the neighborhood, wrestling with his cousin Zaxby, aggravating Iddy Bitty and Jasmine, chasing cats, rolling around in poop and eating bugs. He is the pride and joy of the Wood family adopted from the Nelson County Humane Society on September 27th, Weasel's birthday.

Max was a stray found in Bardstown, KY and doesn't like to eat dog food out of a bowl. He is a finicky eater, just like me, and prefers to eat off of the ground, just as any stray would. No, I'm not saying that I was a stray and like to eat from the ground, I just know what I like and how I like it. Max was formerly named "Scruffles" by his Humane Society friends but prefers Max, Maxwell, Maxamillion and sometimes, Snugglemuffin.

Max's adoption day was very emotional; one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. There were so many homeless animals in the shelter that day but I gave myself a pep talk before walking in. "You are here for one dog and one dog only." I forced myself into tunnel vision without having to look into the eyes of another soul in need.

Earlier that day, we decided to pass along an opportunity to adopt a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel mix found along side I-64 with his litter mates. There were about 80 others waiting to adopt him and Woody and I decided that "Scruffles" deserved a chance more so than one who had a line of people waiting to adopt him. Max was located on petfinder.com, a website filled with hundreds of thousands of pure bred and mixed homeless animals, from puppies to seniors, all across the U.S. Max's face just spoke to me.

If you are wondering, "What, exactly, kind of breed is Max?"; we believe he is a pure bred mutt. A little terrier, a little shih tzu, a little schnauzer, maybe some beagle thrown into the mix, it doesn't matter. Max is a wonderful addition and has already added so much happiness to our family.

No comments: